Skateboarding outside is always an awesome experience for skaters. It provides a low cost, eco-friendly method to get people to their destination within close distance or just for fun. Usually when you get a new electric skateboard, it may not have a fully charged battery. Therefore, you must charge the battery prior to use. The importance of electric skateboard charging safety cannot be overemphasized. Do remember to check the user manual and get acquainted with information related to battery charging. When it comes to skateboard charging, there are a few things you need to pay attention to.
Tips for skateboarding charging
- Fully charge battery before storing for extended periods of time.
- Unplug charger from the wall outlet when not in use.
- Do not chargeyour skateboard at extreme high or low temperatures.
- Use ONLY with the recommended charger.
- Do not clean the electric skateboard with a damp cloth while charging.
- Keep children away form the electric skateboardduring charging.
- Never charge a battery that appears to be damaged or is not holding a charge.
- Do not use modified electrical controls or wires for charging and do not open the battery pack.
- Check the initial charge timeand recharge time. In most cases, the manufacture will give users a recommended maximum charging time, usually less than 24 hours.
- Periodically recharge battery when not in use.Failure to recharge battery periodically may result in a battery that will not accept a charge.
- Make sure the power button is turned OFF when product is not in use. If the power button is left on for an extended period of time, the battery may reach a stage at which it will no longer hold a charge.
- Regularly examine the charger to see whether there is any damage to the cord, plug, enclosure and other parts.If there is any damage, repair or replace them before you charge.
- Try not to leave the device charging unattended, especially overnight. Because of a faulty cut-off, switch or plug without a fuse could lead to it overheating, exploding or catching fire.
- Always let it cool down for an hour before plugging it into the charger. Keep it away from flammable objects and unplug the charger from the skateboard and outlet as soon as it is done charging.
- Charging adapter may also heat up during charging, whichis normal and safe. The adapter may generate noticeable heat as it converts high voltage electricity to the right voltage for the battery of the board.
Tips for conserving battery charge:
- Ride in slowmode for better range than fast mode.
- Kick push to start and then slowly engage the motors, rather than accelerating from a full stop using only the motors.
- When braking from high speeds, brake smoothly until you reach the speed of fast walking then footbraketo a stop.
- Avoid riding up steep hills when possible.
- Avoid riding into strong winds when possible.
How to prolong the lifetime of your skateboard battery?
The loss of battery capacity (aging) is inevitable. Always follow the charging instructions or users manual provided with your electric skateboard extend battery life as long as possible.
—Temperature: Keep your batteries at room temperature. That means between 20 and 25 degrees Celsius. Heat can be very dangerous for the lifespan of a lithium-ion battery. The worst thing for a battery is when you fully charge it and expose it to high temperatures.
—Depth of discharge: Recharge the battery before it drops down to 0%. If possible, avoid full discharges and charge your e-board more often between uses. There is no such thing like battery memory anymore. The battery does not need full discharge cycles to prolong life.
—Regular recharging: Be sure to discharge your battery to optimally 40% when you don’t use your skateboard for a couple of weeks or months. Recharge the battery every six months to maintain 40-50% of battery status.
—Regular use: Try to use your battery periodically. The lifetime of the battery will decrease if the battery is not used frequently. Try to recharge your board every six months.
—BMS: Batteries need to be maintained carefully. But technology made our lives easier. Nowadays special battery management system in batteries will guarantee that the battery will not overcharge or discharge too far. You just plug your charger into your battery and forget about it. So use the battery with BMS.
Before you enter the electric skateboard community, perhaps you’ve already been aware of the potential injuries or even explosion of the board. Always bear in mind that improper charging habits or battery issues may lead to explosion of the skateboard. That’s why we emphasize the importance of charging and battery safety all the time. Therefore, you need to be very careful while charging the skateboard. In fact, as long as you follow the safe charging instructions, there won’t be a problem for you to enjoy your skateboard riding.